What’s the Difference between an SR-22 and FR-44?

Reader Question: What’s the Difference between an SR-22 and FR-44, and Why Do I Need One?

They may sound like a sports car or model of a rifle, but SR-22s and FR-44s are actually nothing anyone would want to collect — ever. You may find yourself in a situation where your state informs you that you have to carry an SR-22 or an FR-44 following some kind of new blemish on your driving history. Perhaps you got a DUI or received a major violation such as driving without insurance or a license, or in some states, maybe you were asked to carry an SR-22 because the state discovered you were uninsured.

Despite the reason why you were asked to carry either one, you have to inform your auto insurance company while getting insurance quotes that you need one. Unfortunately, you’ll be looking at:

SR-22 Insurance

SR-22 insurance is nothing more than a special filing attached to an auto policy. Your auto insurer will notify your state’s motor vehicle department that you are insured. In addition, the filing agreement will also mean that your auto insurer will need to notify the state if your policy cancels for any reason.

This typically places you in a higher risk category, so you probably will pay higher premiums than someone who does not require an SR-22 filing.

FR-44 Insurance

This is often called DUI insurance for the Commonwealth of Virginia and the State of Florida. If you are charged with a DUI, you will need an FR-44 filing. This is similar in nature to an SR-22; however, it has the additional requirements that the insured carries a minimum of $100,000 liability on the auto policy.

The theory behind this type of filing is due to statistics that show drivers who drive drunk are likely to repeat this offense. Since drunk driving has potentially destructive and life-threatening consequences, the higher liability will provide a little more help to the other party if the DUI driver hits another car and causes injury.

Hopefully you will never find yourself in the position to need an SR-22 or FR-44 insurance filing. In order to make that a non-issue, never get behind the wheel, even if you have only had one drink, and never drive without insurance.


Coverage.com’s content, including the content found in the ‘Ask an Agent’ section, is strictly a way to assist in your insurance decisions by providing answers to readers’ insurance questions. Please note that the content on Coverage.com is written on a broad level and is general in scope, therefore your personal information is not considered. You should not consider the content personal insurance advice or personal insurance guidance, nor should you consider it personal financial advice or personal financial guidance. Coverage.com recommends that you consult with a professional who is familiar with your individual circumstances before making any final insurance decisions or final financial decisions.